Saturday, September 20, 2014

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke || Book Review

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue See (Between #1) by April Genevieve Tucholke

Publication Date: August 15, 2013
Publisher: Dial
Pages: 360
Format: Hardcover
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Book Depository

Synopsis:
You stop fearing the devil when you're holding his hand...

Children are disappearing. Groups of young boys and girls form small armies to hunt for a monster. People are seeing things that shouldn't be there and doing things that shouldn't be done.

And it all starts when an irresistible guy named River West shows up in Violet White's sleepy, seaside town.

Is River somehow connected? Is he just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or is he something more? Violet's grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back.

Thoughts:

I was...disappointed to say the least. Once again, the hype surrounding this book was what crushed my final thoughts. I was so excited, so intrigued to read this book because it just sounded haunting and brilliant and beautiful. It wasn't what I got.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed this book and it was interesting but at the same time it wasn't what I expected. I've heard people call this book creepy and scary and while it is, it wasn't creepy enough for me. I believe it's because I've seen so many horror flicks at night to last a lifetime already that many things don't creep me out.

In summary, Violet White and her brother, Luke live in this old, tattered mansion by the seaside in a city called Echo. When they run out of money, they decide to rent out the guest house which drives River West to Echo. Strange things happen in Echo and it all started when River showed up. Coincidence? I think not. I enjoyed reading about Violet and River and even Jack, the little red-haired kid. You'll love the characters and the plot because it's different. Described as a gothic tale, why wouldn't it be different?

I think I was just disappointed at the fact that I wasn't creeped out as much as I would have liked to be. Still, I would definitely read the next book in the duology just to see where everything ends.



0 comments:

Post a Comment