Sunday, August 17, 2014

Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth || Book Review

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Publication Date: May 3, 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Pages: 487
Format: Paperback

"One choice decides your friends. One choice defines your beliefs. One Choice determines your loyalties – forever. One choice CAN TRANSFORM YOU."





(This is an older review)


Divergent tells the story of the future, where people are split into factions based on their personalities. Abnegation, Candor, Dauntless, Amity and Erudite. There is an aptitude test you take once you reach the age of sixteen that determines which faction you end up in, but Beatrice ‘Tris’ Prior is told that she is Divergent – someone who does not fit into any faction. They ultimately can’t control her.

This book kept me up all night. It was such a thrilling and nerve-wracking read that made me want to jump of a roof, just like Tris. This book is filled with heart stopping events page after page that left me breathless. Veronica Roth is an incredible author, and her words and descriptions were just hauntingly mesmerizing. Divergent is a book that you can’t help but feel for the characters. Each character is deeply developed and you feel everything they are feeling from the pain, the fear and even their happiness. You become connected and you start understanding

I loved Tris because she is such a raw character. There were many scenes where she made me laugh, and where I wanted to slap her for thinking such things. Her romantic feelings for Four made me giddy and scream at the same time. There were so many instances where he was blatantly showing her how he felt but she could not realize it. This book was just a mixture of pain, suffering, and absolute amazing-ness. If you have no read Divergent, I suggest you go read it before seeing the movie.

Now that I am caught up with the book, I just hope and pray the movie does it justice. I am one of those book freaks that cannot stand when a movie butchers a book but I have high hopes for this one. The cast is golden, and even though I would never expect Shailene Woodly to play Tris I am excited to see how well she does.

I recommend this book 100%, no questions asked. It was an amazing book and I cannot formulate any other words. Now, I am off to read the rest of the series, but I’ll be back with reviews for books 2 and 3 in the series, Insurgent and Allegiant.


0 comments:

Post a Comment